Kicked out of art school (Victoria College, Prahran), in the mid-80’s, Nicholas has continued to express himself through a ‘painters lens’, applying this framework to a broad diversity of outputs.
Nicholas’ sound/media practice spans the fields of sound art, live performance and digital screen/media, drawing from a wide range or source material and influences from field and urban recordings, found sound and vision to samples and electronics.
Through his two dedicated sound aliases, File_Error and DJ No_Request, he works both experimental sound territory, and low-brow beat culture. Collaborative sound projects are numerous, and have included: The Arthouse Collective, We Could Be Heroes, Multi-Function Polis & Dero.
As a collaborator, he utilises a range of sound and media disciplines to engage with dancers, performers, installation artists, actors and more.
His history includes performances at Liquid Architecture, Woodford Festival, Melbourne Fringe Festival, the IMA (Institute of Modern Art), National Gallery Australia, Brisbane Fringe and various club shows and galleries over some 20 years.
Nicholas has a dedicated personal practice that encompasses video/audio, painting and installation.
Nicholas’ most recent project is ‘The Presentation’, a cultural improvisation trio featuring former National Theatre Company of PNG’s Markham Galut, and Kabi Kabi Aboriginal man Darren Blackman.
In 2013 he collaborated with hybrid inter-media collective Bonemap on the Lodestar project, and was sound designer for JUTE theatre company’s production of Half & Half (feat Aaron Fa’aso and Jimi Bani).
Nicholas is also part of an ongoing collaboration with indigenous visual and performance artist Zane Saunders, that spans some 8 years. Highlights have included performances at National Gallery Canberra, the exhibition ‘I, Alien’ at Kickarts Galleries, and performances as part of Cairns Indigenous Art Fair 2013, at Cairns Regional Gallery.
In 2014, Nicholas presented two shows at the Brisbane Fringe Festival : the verbatim theatre work ‘Cherry Tree Creek’ and the music/cabaret act The Don Johnson/Butlers.
He performs as lead singer (Wrong Scott) with the world’s first bogan funk band The Don Johnson/Butlers, and is currently developing the art/blues songman Slim Deal.
Recent Creative Highlights include:
• imagineNATIVE media & film festival – Canada – 2014
• Four Rooms exhibition – Adelaide Festival – Tandanya Gallery – 2014
• Brisbane Fringe festival : ‘Cherry Tree Creek’ and the music/cabaret act The Don Johnson/Butlers.
• On Edge media & performance festival – 2006-2014
• Arthouse, independent venue/studio’s – 2010-2014
• Mixed Grill – multi artform./culture series – 2012-2014
• Half & Half – Jute Theatre – Sound Designer- 2013
• HouseLab Project – Experimental Creative Development – Funded by Australia Council – 2013
• Cairns Indigenous Art Fair – 4 x performances, and video/audio works with Zane Saunders – 2013
• I, Alien – Exhibition Video/sound works – KickArts Contemporary Arts, Gallery 2 – with Zane Saunders 2012
• Cherry Tree Creek – producer, director & media design – with Derek Tipper – Centre of Contemporary Arts, as part of On Edge – 2012